Jun 30, 2010

Bros for Bushmills



What do you think of when you see this ad? Do you see these guy's carefree poses and say: "Wow those dudes are chillin!"Or do you wonder: "Are they selling whiskey or hulk hands?". Or maybe your like me and your pissed you have to go and blog yet again about the horrible misogyny of bro whiskey ads.  But theres something different about these guys, they're not just regular dudes.
 These puppies started showing up in the New York subways a few weeks ago. At first, I second glanced and cringed, the way you instinctively turn back around when a dude in plaid and Rayban's walks by you on the L train reading a pre-worn copy of  Catcher in the Rye he picked up at Urban. But today I found myself face to face with one of these dude's giant chillin ball sack...




Chromeo
So I went searching (on the internet not in the balls), and guess what? These aren't just any bros hanging out drinking whiskey and playing with big mutant hands, these are New York dudes, New York dude artists to be exact. That first set of douche bags are  Fools Gold, a brooklyn based record label that brought us Kid Cudi, and the giant brohans painted in Williamsburg for all brohans to see is musical duo Chromeo.   It's a new campaign by Bushmills to promote "brotherhood" and brotherhood as a metaphor for whiskey, namely Bushmills whiskey, a campaign that "stems from Bushmills’ general, straightforward marketing initiative to serve as an outlet to express the important people in our lives through a warm Irish whiskey." 

Filmmaker Greg Brunkalla went "behind the scenes"to film all sorts of bros doin all sorts of brotherly stuff and drinkin bushmills in a brotherly way. Watch them here.







I Whiskeyglass NY??? 
I would take a million whiskey ads of kilted men beating their wives while drinking a scotch over this crap. I don't want to live in a city where I am forced to see towering dude bros I don't recognize having a chill time drinking whiskey and have to be okay with it because it is promoting "brotherhood". If I wanted that kind of torture I would have asked the L Train guy if he identifies with Holden Caulfield. 

No comments:

Post a Comment